Re: Optimizing a request

From: "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimizing a request
Date: 2004-08-31 20:16:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 31 Aug 2004 at 21:42, Jean-Max Reymond wrote:

> [...]

I can only presume you mean 1 GB RAM. What exactly are your
settings for shared buffers and effective_cache_size?

Can you increase default_statistics_target and re-test? It is possible
that with such a large table that the distribution of values is skewed and
postgres does not realise that an index scan would be better.

It seems very odd otherwise that only on row out of 10,000,000 could
match and postgres does not realise this.

Can you post an explain analyse (not just explain) for this query?

Cheers,
Gary.