Re: Large Databases

From: Michal Taborsky <michal(at)taborsky(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large Databases
Date: 2004-08-31 20:54:34
Lists: pgsql-general

elein wrote:

> What is the linux and/or postgres limitation for very
> large databases, if any? We are looking at 6T-20T.
> My understanding is that if the hardware supports it,
> then it can be done in postgres. But can hardware
> support that?

I've never had the pleasure to actually see one of those, but for
example IBM sells their storage servers, which can hold up to 224 SCSI
drives. The largest drive now s 146G, so that gives you 32T. With some
RAIDing you are looking at 16T of storage in one box (huge it may
be--actually occupies whole 90U rack). You can use more of them I guess,
since version 8 has tablespaces. Be prepared to spend some half a mil
for this beast and we are talking US dollars here (listing price is
$760k, but who would shop for listing prices, eh?). Beware, nuclear
powerplant not included. If you get one of those, let us know how
Postgres hums on it :)

--
Michal Taborsky
http://www.taborsky.cz