Re: pg_dump needs an option to add the force flag to the drop database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joan <aseques(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump needs an option to add the force flag to the drop database
Date: 2023-07-18 03:51:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 at 14:18, Joan <aseques(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Having an option to add the FORCE option to either the generated dump by pg_dump, or in the pg_restore would be very useful when restoring the databases so it would avoid having to do scripting.

> It would be better to raise this enhancement request in -hackers, as
> it can be discussed there and taken forward accordingly from there.

Yeah, this is not a bug.

I'm not sure that it's a sane feature request either. pg_dump scripts are
not designed to deal with concurrent modifications to the target database
during restore, and I doubt that we want to invest effort in making them
proof against such situations. Even if you only consider read-only
concurrent accesses, what client is going to be pleased with seeing a
half-restored database? So I don't quite follow what is the use-case
for doing DROP DATABASE FORCE here. Realistically you need a stronger
defense against concurrent users than that would offer.