Maximum identifier lengths

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Maximum identifier lengths
Date: 2004-08-31 00:16:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The 7.4 release increased the maximum length for column and table
identifiers to 64 characters. Are there any plans to increase the
maximum length out to the SQL spec of 128 characters? I remembered
some performance penalties for the longer name lengths for hash joins
but I don't know if any of the many improvements for the 8.0 release
have change or reduced the penalties for such identifiers.