Re: add serial no

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Keith <siu_keith(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: add serial no
Date: 2004-08-24 21:07:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Keith wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Someone can help me to solve the below problems
>
> 1. I create a table for a period of time, there is huge records already
> posted.
> I would like to alter table and add serial primary key on that table.
> It's impossible to add serial no by hand. Please adv how can I add the
> serial number automatically.

Just to inform you that with the future 8.0 postgresl version you can
do this task easily:

kalman=# select * from test;
field_1
---------
3
5
7
6
8
(5 rows)

kalman=# alter table test add column pk serial primary key;
NOTICE: ALTER TABLE will create implicit sequence "test_pk_seq" for serial column "test.pk"
NOTICE: ALTER TABLE / ADD PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "test_pkey" for table "test"
ALTER TABLE
kalman=# select * from test;
field_1 | pk
3 | 1