Compilation problems and extension on Windows

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Compilation problems and extension on Windows
Date: 2004-08-22 11:09:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi list,

I asked both these questions on the cygwin list, but as I've started to
look into the native port as well, and as I didn't get any answer there,
I would appreciate any answer here as well.

I'm trying to compile an external library for use as a postgres
extension. The project is available on pgfoundry (search for mssqlext).
On Unix everything works great. On Windows, I'm trying for both a cygwin
and a native version of the extension. I'm having several problems:
1. I cannot link the library without postgres.exe (that has several of
the functions I need). However, I do not have access to the link library
for it.
2. I have downloaded both the sources from the web and the sources
available in the cygwin installer. They are not the same. Neither
compiles on cygwin, however.
3. I have not located any instructions for compiling the native sources
(8.0 beta 1). The makefiles available through the sources only compile
libpq and psql and friends, not the actual database. I have not tried
MSYS yet, but do I just run the configure script as usual?

Any help with any of these problems would be greatly appretiated.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting