Timezone detection problem (was: InitDB failure on install)

From: Mario Ivankovits <imario(at)apache(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Timezone detection problem (was: InitDB failure on install)
Date: 2004-08-20 06:51:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Dave Page schrieb:

> <>I'll try to add a check for this to the installer for the next release.
> It'll just be a simple 'you can't install this in a ts session' message
> though, not a fix. Mind you, it's certainly not the first installation
> I've seen that won't run in a ts session.

I dont know what the state of the "timzone detection problem" in the
current postgresql 8.0 head will be, but if it isnt fixed for the next
beta it might greatly help others if you could add a warning to the
installer if the automatic timezone detection failed.

It cost me a couple of hours to figure out that neither hibernate nor I
have done something wrong when i tried to update a record with a
timestamp in its key.
I know, these "couple of hours" stands in no relation to what you guys
spent to develop and support such a _great_ database. However a short:
"Automatic timezone detection failed. Please edit your postgresql.conf
(timezone=) manually to reflect your timezone. This will be fixed in the
release version of PostgreSQL 8.0" ;-)
would be nice.

--
Mario