Re: COPY with column headings

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY with column headings
Date: 2004-08-16 15:22:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Someone just asked about a COPY capability to supply the column headings
>as the first line of the copy statement. Do we want to support
>something like that? Does anyone else want such functionality?

I had it in mind all along as a possible option for CSV mode, but given
the heat that was generated by the minimal implementation we did, I
thought I'd let it rest.

I certainly think it's worth considering, although I see Tom has
objected :-) . Say we have an option called FIRSTLINELABELS, then on
copy out it would write the headings on the first line, and on copy in
it could just ignore the first line (so it could work symmetrically).

cheers

andrew