Re: Storing Binary Large Objects

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Storing Binary Large Objects
Date: 2007-03-29 15:22:52
Lists: pdxpug

On Mar 29, 2007, at 06:37, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I think we'll keep them on disk, separate from the database, and use
> pointers to them.

That's what Bricolage does, and as long as your App has access to
them on the file system (i.e., you don't have an array of app servers
with their own file systems), it works just fine—especially for a Web
app, where the Web server can handle actually *serving* the file.

But I would like to see BLOBs become a lot easier to use in
PostgreSQL...

Best,

David