Re: Distributed Database Web Site

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Distributed Database Web Site
Date: 2004-08-15 10:23:49
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Just curious, how hard would it be to distinguish on the main web site
> between read and write operations?
>
> For instance, if we had a read-only database on a mirror site,
> replicated from the main database using something like Slony ... how
> hard would it be t have 'write operations' sent to the main web site to
> happen, with all read operations being local?

Thinking about what it would take...

We'd need the pg_hba.conf of the main database set to allow connections
from the mirror website(s), so the write operations can occur.

Or, perhaps as an alternative, we could look at making the pages that
generate writes only be on the main PG website. So, the majority of
content is mirrored except for a few pages which do stuff like (i.e.)
submit new stories and stuff.

I haven't really played with Slony in the scenario of multiple mirrors
that may or may not all be available at any one time, but Jan should be
able to give input here.

> ie. posting news events would happen at http://www.postgresql.org, but
> reading news events would be @ http://www.xx.postgresql.org, but both
> could/would be dynamic?

Yep, should be possible. We just have to think about the technology
we'd like web mirrors to run, and then ensure it's acceptable and do-able.

:)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift