Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions
Date: 2004-08-14 22:50:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com schrieb:

> After I successfully ran initdb, I typed in
>
> pg-ctl start -D /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data

I'd try pg_ctl maybe it works as everyone says ?

> and received the following error:
> bash: pg-ctl command not found.

And this didn't light things up a bit ?

> Also, can someone explain the "cygdrive" directory nomenclature?
> Does /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data - C:cygwin/var/postgresql/data?

CygWin mimics the UNIX way to represent devices. There are no drive
letters like C: .
Under UNIX you'll have an abstract root directory named /
This / is usually located at the base of a real partition. Every other
partition, drive, mouse, printer, net-share, .... finds a place below /.
Compare / to the "my computer" folder wherin you'll find the drives.

CygWin uses internally the UNIX method.
Say your CygWin system sits in E:\programs\cygwin
Then this is / when you are on a CygWin command line.
Your own home-directory would then be /home/jeff.
Windows would see it as E:\programs\cygwin\home\jeff.

If you feel like reaching into the rest of the computer from within
CygWin, you'd have to go below / which in UNIX is not possible.
Now /cygdrive puts a new base below both worlds.
Windows: E:\programs\cygwin\home\jeff
CygWin: /home/jeff
CygWin: /cygdrive/e/programs/cygwin/home/jeff
are all the same.