Re: 8.0.0beta1: make check fails on solaris8

From: Martin Münstermann <mmuenstermann(at)betrusted(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.0.0beta1: make check fails on solaris8
Date: 2004-08-11 06:50:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> This seems quite bizarre: ' -INFINiTY ' works but
> 'infinity' does not? Please try in psql
>
> \set VERBOSITY verbose
> SELECT 'infinity'::float4;
>
> and send along the output.

It's even a little more bizarre:
When I start a fresh psql session, SELECT 'infinity'::float4 just works.
Then I \i sql/float4.sql, and after that
template1=# \set VERBOSITY verbose
template1=# SELECT 'infinity'::float4;
ERROR: 22P02: invalid input syntax for type real: "infinity"
LOCATION: float4in, float.c:330

The infinity is broken ;-) after SELECT 'NaN'::float4;

BTW: Infinity works again after
SELECT ' -INFINiTY '::float4;

> My best guess about it is that strtod() is actively broken on your
> platform, and is recognizing the "infinity" input but returning an
> incorrect endptr. I seem to recall that we've heard of such bugs
> before. Can you check for any updates from Sun that might affect
> strtod()?

Nothing found yet. But searching the web for "solaris strtod" yields,
that solaris strtod might behave in a special way...

Regards,
Martin