Re: [HACKERS] Can ICU be used for a database's default sort order?

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pg(at)bowt(dot)ie, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Can ICU be used for a database's default sort order?
Date: 2018-12-02 14:40:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, Dmitry, Daniel!

> 2 дек. 2018 г., в 17:22, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com> написал(а):
>
>> There were reviews: Andrey Borodin raised issues with the patch in
>> [2], I spent some time trying it and asked questions about the design
>> in [3], but no one followed up on them within the next months.
>>
>> About the status of the patch, to me it should be RWF. It's been
>> moved to the next CF several times with no progress besides rebases.
>
> Let me disagree. Judging from the commentaries in this discussion it could be
> significant and useful feature, and the author is trying to keep this patch
> uptodate. The lack of reviews could be due other reasons than desirability of
> the patch (as well as as for many other interesting proposals in hackers).

Regarding status of this patch: Marina is the original author of the patch, but I'm interested in pushing it. Basically, I've asked Marina to provide some code from Postgres Pro to discuss the feature.

Daniel have raised important interface question in his review. Using libc-style locale in lc_collate is not a perfect choice for many ICU-only collations.
I'd work on patch if I knew how to improve the interface, but I need input from community: how this interface should look like.

I have intention to provide some solution for this question before next CF, but found no enough time during this CF (beside rebase).

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.