Re: Using null date fields to indicate active/expired records

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using null date fields to indicate active/expired records
Date: 2004-08-10 12:50:46
Lists: sfpug

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Which is faster depends on your query structure and the distribution of your
> data; that's the other reason not to make decisions on this basis now. If
> you want a serious answer on this, please post your current table structure
> and an explanation of what kind of data is kept in the various fields and how
> you query it.

My database for this project is about 40 tables. I don't know where the
line is drawn on this list between postgres specific discussion and data
model review.

I am making a lot of changes right now including this archived/deleted
indicator so I would welcome the opportunity to review my plans if it's
acceptable, but I don't want to abuse the list.

Brian