Re: Ideas about a better API for postgres_fdw remote estimates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Ideas about a better API for postgres_fdw remote estimates
Date: 2020-08-31 17:53:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Feature work either requires changes to pg_dump, or not. I agree that
> features which don't require pg_dump changes are definitionally less
> work than features which do (presuming the rest of the feature is the
> same in both cases) but that isn't a justification to not have pg_dump
> support in cases where it's expected- we just don't currently expect it
> for statistics (which is a rather odd exception when you consider that
> nearly everything else that ends up in the catalog tables is included).

> For my part, at least, I'd like to see us change that expectation, for a
> number of reasons:

Yeah. I think that originally we expected that the definition of the
stats might change fast enough that porting them cross-version would be
problematic. Subsequent experience has shown that they don't actually
change any faster than any other aspect of the catalogs. So, while
I do think we must have a plan for how to cope when/if the definition
changes, I don't buy Bruce's argument that it's going to require more
maintenance effort than any other part of the system does.