Re: Table and/or Database Creation Time

From: Kemin Zhou <kemin(dot)zhou(at)ferring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table and/or Database Creation Time
Date: 2004-07-29 21:05:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

Albretch wrote:

>Is there such thing as a table or database creation time in the SQL
>standard, that you could avail yourself of?
>
> I mean do databases keep this info. I think they do since they are
>like little OSs and many of them have internal back up features, that
>must use some kind of timing. Or?

>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Regarding this. I am just recently thinking about this question. I
looked into the Postgres Internals Chapter and
did not find anything for recording the

Table Creation, Last Update, Last access (This one may be too expensive
to store).
But the Last Update (Date) is important in some cases.

Here I am developing a web application that depends on a database
(postgres). To increate the response time
I cache the query result locally and stored into a html file. Because
the data is not update that frequently,
this can help. But I don't think Postgres has this information available.

I don't see it is difficult to add this information to the database.
The question is the overhead; does it worth
to keep this information? However, we can easily create a table

create table (
table_name text,
last_update date
);
And write a few triggers (better rules) to monitor a few important
tables of interest.

I would like to hear from others.

Kemin

Proprietary or confidential information belonging to Ferring Holding SA or to one of its affiliated companies may be contained in the message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for the delivery of the message to such person), please do not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender by reply e-mail. Please advise the sender immediately if you or your employer do not consent to e-mail for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message represent the opinion of the sender and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views and opinions of Ferring.