Re: Admin functions contrib

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Admin functions contrib
Date: 2004-07-29 20:03:03
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>If it's not going into the distribution as contrib or core, I'll package
>>that as additional admin pack. I'm quite sure I can convince the win32
>>installer packager guys to include that as default-on option as soon as
>>I'm able to prove them how it's working.
>

> Uh, but it isn't working on Win32, right? How do you fix that? During
> beta? That would be OK as an add-on.

As I said, I'm going to fix the stderr issue. This will enable the
pending log rotation stuff more or less incidentially.

>>The win32 log issue isn't a serverlog rotation issue, as I stated also
>>the current stderr output is affected! I'd clearly see that as a fix,
>>whilst it might be more than 10 lines of code. I'll try to fix that
>>tomorrow. The very log_destination=file and rotation code will be more
>>or less the same as for ***x.
>

> But does it work on Win32 and Unix? It has to.

I meant to implement that stderr handling stuff for win32, in order to
have a clean stderr output. Unix isn't affected, it works as posted.

> Yes, that is a problem but we have to cut or we will never get to beta.
> Probably doing an add-on until 7.6 might be the best but you are working
> on it so let's see.

The add-on are the functions, not the log rotation. Log rotation for
unix is beta-ready, and virtually unchanged for weeks now. It will be
available shortly for win32 too, as soon as the stderr piping issue is
solved. I'm a bit tired of arguing, that's why I didn't split the
functions in a part that was proposed together with the core
functionality before feature freeze and an additional part. I feel that
the majority of installations (win32) will have them anyway.

Regards,
Andreas