Re: Charset problem on WHERE clause

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Charset problem on WHERE clause
Date: 2004-07-26 21:09:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:

> You should not use a SQL_ASCII database. The JDBC driver requires you
> database to use a proper encoding for your data. The ?charSet url
> parameter was designed to work around this problem for <= 7.2 servers
> which didn't come with multibyte encoding support compiled by default, but
> it is ignored in => 7.3 servers so it is useless here.

I wonder if it's worth supporting the charSet parameter even for >= 7.3:
set client_encoding explicitly to SQL_ASCII (which I believe means "no
translation") and do the translation to Unicode on the JVM side using
whatever charset the user provided. I think most of the encoding details
are now isolated from the rest of the protocol logic, so it wouldn't be
a very invasive change.

My only concern is that it'd encourage people to keep their DBs as
SQL_ASCII .. which is just delaying the problem.

-O