Re: Schemas causing problems :(

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Vitaly Belman <vitalyb(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Schemas causing problems :(
Date: 2004-07-26 13:41:27
Lists: pgadmin-support

Vitaly Belman wrote:
> I have the following problem, when I am editing a function in PGAdmin
> that is not in a public schema yet that it is in the search_path and
> doing apply it does the following:
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION blabla();
>
> Meaning it omits the schema name and so even though the function I
> edited was not in public schema, it ends there anyway, as it is higher
> in the search_path. Why doesn't PGAdmin add the schema name before the
> function? It sounds rather trivial to me =\.

Fine, you're welcome supporting us!

Dave, this problem originates from pgDatabase::GetSchemaPrefix removing
the schema if it's on the search_path. AFAIR you arose the problem of
search_path, but now I see that I changed it myself. It's obviously a
mistake to suppress the schema when creating/modifying objects (unless
public or pg_catalog), can you think of a situation *at all* that we
might want to evaluate that in pgAdmin3?

In the meantime, the search_path option can be set to public to get
correct behaviour.

Regards,
Andreas