Re: cvsignore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cvsignore
Date: 2004-01-24 19:21:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org> writes:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I order to achieve that you would have to add *all* built files to
>> cvsignore. Surely you don't plan that?

> Yes, I did plan that.

This would be quite unacceptable IMHO. A cvs run *ought* to complain
if there is any cruft in the tree. The .cvsignore files that exist
are there to prevent complaints about files that are built but are
included in distribution tarballs (and so are not removed by make
distclean). If we did what you suggest, we'd miss bugs in "make clean"
rules that left cruft in the distribution.

FWIW, I find that by far the safest procedure for working with CVS tip
is to do a make distclean before any cvs update, so I'm not convinced
that what you want is worth expending effort towards anyway. Rebuilding
after every update costs machine time, but seldom any of my time (I can
generally overlap it with other useful activities, eg reading mail).
Not rebuilding from scratch works most of the time, but when it doesn't
work you will waste large amounts of your own time trying to figure out
mysterious bugs that aren't really bugs but just build inconsistencies.
I've been there and done that enough times that I don't plan to do it
anymore.