indexing functions

From: Bas Peters <bpeters(at)idc(dot)nl>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: indexing functions
Date: 1999-02-23 16:03:05
Lists: pgsql-general

I am relatively new to Postgresql and hope I send this question to the
right list.

Is it possible to manipulate the way an index is created by using
functions? I would like to store SGML data in text fields that include a
lot of entities (like &uuml;). To enable the user to search the &uuml;
character as u I would like to index those entities as the character
without the diacritical marks. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Bas Peters
bpeters(at)idc(dot)nl