pg_dump bug fixing

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump bug fixing
Date: 2004-07-18 06:33:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi everyone,

I've decided to attempt to nail all known bugs in pg_dump for 7.5 :)

So, please send me ALL your known bugs/issues with pg_dump, pg_dumpall
and pg_restore. Note that I am NOT interested in feature requests, ONLY
bugs.

A bug is considered to be an issue in pg_dump that means that when a
legally arrived at state in your PostgreSQL database, running pg_dump
and then restoring that dump does not result in an identical state.
Legally means 'obtained without manual catalog hacking' and 'identical'
means except for object OIDs.

The current list of known issues (for which I haven't submitted a fix
yet) that I have are as follows:

* Circular view dependencies (a pretty minor/rare issue...can only be
"fixed" by banning it in the backend)

* Alter object owner, privileges get a bit messed up. This is really a
backend bug, but there might be a pg_dump workaround for it.

* Tablespace that primary key and unique constraint indexes are in are
not dumped

* If you drop your public schema, a drop command is not issued for it in
the dump, so when you restore your public schema is back

Does anyone have any others?

Chris