Re: Updated ALTER TABLE ... SET TABLESPACE patch

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updated ALTER TABLE ... SET TABLESPACE patch
Date: 2004-07-09 01:29:32
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Attached is an updated ALTER TABLE ... SET TABLESPACE patch.
>
> It uses the block by block copy mechanism proposed by Tom and handles i)
> ALTER TABLE <index> .... and ii) Copying of TOAST tables and the TOAST
> table's index.
>
> It doesn't handle copying of system tables (pg_largeobject) and, in the
> interests of code reuse, the patch fiddles with the code used by CLUSTER.
> This isn't great but I wanted to get a patch in before 1 July since I
> think the feature is very important -- even for the first release.

Does this patch allow setting the tablespace of sequences as well? If
so, then you will need to modify pg_dump of SERIAL sequences. Perhaps
output a ALTER TABLE/SET TABLESPACE command after the CREATE TABLE
definition to move the SERIAL sequence.

The same argument applies if it allows moving indexes. (Unique and
Primary Keys)

Chris