Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns

From: Justin Clift <jc(at)telstra(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns
Date: 2004-07-05 03:58:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
<snip>
> Anyone who's writing queries that are examing the schema of the database
> is by definition not a newbie...

By newbie here, I mean someone who's a PG "newbie" but has a reasonable
understanding of databases (i.e. Oracle, etc) would generally find the
"information_schema" much easier to locate and use information in
compared to having to learn the PG internals.

There's a whole lot of difference between the skill level needed to
query the information_schema and find out things like table and column
names, vs looking into pg_namespace, pg_class and pg_attribute plus
understanding the specific info there to work out table and column names.

I reckon that having information "pre-prepared" in views like those in
information_schema is "of course" going to be easier for people than
"raw" information our internal catalogs.

Do you get where I'm coming from with this?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift