Re: initdb crash

From: "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb crash
Date: 2004-07-04 15:39:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

On 4 Jul 2004 at 10:04, Tom Lane wrote:

> Hm. Whether those macros are wrong or not, we're still left wondering
> why it would exit(5), either.
>
> The crash is apparently coming during the first attempt to insert a row
> from the postgres.bki file. That does not seem consistent with the
> theory about a permissions problem; if we had no directory permissions
> I'd have expected a failure at the previous "create pg_proc" step. (For
> that matter, how'd we have managed to create all the subdirectories and
> configuration files? The permissions theory doesn't hold water at all.)
>
> regards, tom lane

Yup, I can reproduce this as well. In fact I am now completely stuck. I can't run as
administrator and when I am an ordinary user I can't initdb.

It doesn't fully behave like a permissions issue. I have given full control to the unpriv
user to the entire drive that pgsql is on. Same problem. I have turned auditing on for file
access failure and no audit entries are generated.

It seems to create all the files, but the file "1255" in the pgsql\data\1 folder is zero bytes.

Cheers,
Gary.