LinuxTag wrapup

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: LinuxTag wrapup
Date: 2004-07-03 15:59:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear developers,

classifying the questions we got those three days in the PostgreSQL
booth on LinuxTag, we had three ever repeating topics, two of them
non-surprising:
- what's the difference to MyS***
- what about win32 native
- what about Oracle portability.

The third question was asked from serious corporate users, and what I
told them about ora2pg and simple procedure migration didn't satisfy
them completely: they asked about oracle sql query syntax compatibility.
They were quite disappointed when I told them we're ansi standard and
after numerous discussions we don't ever intend to implement that oracle
stuff.

IMHO we should rethink if we could make those people happy. How about a
loadable personality (IIRC SAPDB has something like that), to exchange
the parser in use with a custom one (by a SET command)? This way we have
a pure ansi default, while enabling a way so someone could contribute an
oracle style parser.

Regards,
Andreas

BTW, many people I addressed when they rested for a few seconds in front
of the booth just said "no thanks, I don't have any questions, I'm using
PostgreSQL and I'm happy with it".