Re: postgres 7.4 at 100%

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Chris Cheston <ccheston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres 7.4 at 100%
Date: 2004-06-30 10:02:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

> I see - thanks very much. I created an index for column 'oid' which I
> was using in a WHERE. So rule of thumb- create an index for column(s)
> which I use in WHERE queries.

So to speak. They can also sometimes assist in sorting. The OID column
is special. I suggest adding a unique index to that column. In
postgresql it is _possible_ for the oid counter to wraparound, hence if
you rely on oids (not necessarily a good idea), it's best to put a
unique index on the oid column.

I _strongly_ suggest that you read this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/indexes.html

Chris