Re: recursive SQL

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "jacob koehler (RRes-Roth)" <jacob(dot)koehler(at)bbsrc(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, overholt(at)redhat(dot)com, Alexander Rüegg <arueegg(at)uni-bielefeld(dot)de>, gppl(at)inbox(dot)ru
Subject: Re: recursive SQL
Date: 2004-06-29 11:23:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Evgen,

I'm a PostgreSQL developer and I would like to see an SQL99 recursive
queries feature in PostgreSQL.

I'm pretty sure that Tom would be happy with an SQL99 compliant version
of your patch, so long as it's up to scratch with the normal PostgreSQL
coding and reliability standards.

I'm not a committer myself, so I think I should explain how things work.
We're unlike other projects that seem to accept almost anything that
comes our way. In many ways, it's the patches that the committers
reject that make PostgreSQL strong.

To get your patch accepted, you have to be prepared to work WITH the
committers, especially Tom, and make changes based on their feedback. I
know this costs you in wounded pride (I get the same feeling sometimes),
but in the end it's worth it. Sometimes the committers are very busy
and it takes ages before someone actually reviews your patch. Don't
take that as a snub, take it as an opportunity to keep working on it!

I think that you and the PostgreSQL project can meet somewhere in the
middle on this and we can get your stuff in for the 7.6 release (it's
too late for 7.5 right now). Don't take this as a guarantee of course,
but if you'll willing to work with us and stick with the patch, then I
think it will get in.

Comments?

Regards,

Chris