Re: lock timeout patch

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Satoshi Nagayasu <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: lock timeout patch
Date: 2004-06-28 06:16:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I'd accept a mechanism to enforce a timeout at the lock level if you
> could show me a convincing use-case for lock timeouts instead of
> statement timeouts, but I don't believe there is one. I think this
> proposal is a solution in search of a problem.

I think statement_timeout and lock_timeout are different.

If I set statement_timeout to 1000 to detect a lock timeout,
I can't run a query which takes over 1 sec.

If a lock wait is occured, I want to detect it immediately,
but I still want to run a long-running query.

--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>