Re: Fixing pg_dump

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixing pg_dump
Date: 2004-06-27 08:22:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>But...it seems kind of hacky to scan it again for owners and privs - are
>>you sure you want me to go that way?
>
> If there's not a big performance penalty, sure. Being fully compatible
> with existing archive files is a sufficient win to justify sins much
> worse than this one.

Ah, crap.

I tried adding the extra scan in and it as all well and good up until
the second where I realised that the TocEntry struct has no field that
allows me to know the correct way of finding the full descriptor of each
object.

For example, consider an operator. It's not enough for me to know the
name of the operator, I also must know the type of its operands.

That given, I see no way to implement this using a second scan, except
perhaps rewriting the drop command...which is extremely dodgy!

I'm running out of time unfortunately, and I need to know from you
whether I should go back to my work on making owner and acl TOC entries
fully independent? All this means is that people restoring pre-7.5
binary dumps into 7.5 will not get the owner fixes... But people using
the binary format to upgrade seems like a pretty rare case to me!

Chris