Re: Design Strategy WAS: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:VbulletinForum

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Postgresql Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Design Strategy WAS: High-Profile Advocacy Opportunity:VbulletinForum
Date: 2004-06-24 19:56:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Rod Taylor wrote:

>One of the things that PostgreSQL is nice at is the ability to write
>your database procedures in the same language as your middleware in many
>cases (ignore java for now).

No :-)
Please don't ignore java. Some months ago I published the pljava
project on gborg. Major reason, I concur with what you say here and if
any lanugage has a great potenital of actually enabling advanced server
side logic in a database independent way, I think that will be Java. In
addition, an increasing number of n-tier applications use Java in the
middle tier.

>With a little bit of abstraction around the database handle itself
>(libpq vs SPI) and now you can shove the procedure into the database or
>pull it back to the middware when you port to another db.

Right, and I include a JDBC implementation on top of SPI partly for that
reason.

>Write in such a way that you rely on database triggers or application
>side triggers based on database type (easy enough).
>
>Not perfect by any means, but certainly can make life easier.

Yes, absolutely. This is an example of a design that would be part of
the abstractions I'm rambling about. Add the some effort to actually
make the triggers etc. as db neutral as possible and the switch between
(competent) databases can be made with a bareable amount of pain.

Kind regards,

Thomas Hallgren