Normalising an existing table - how?

From: Graham Leggett <minfrin(at)sharp(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Normalising an existing table - how?
Date: 2004-06-24 18:51:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

I have an existing table containing a column in it containing a money
value. I would like to normalise this column into a separate table, as
the money value is to be expanded to contain a tax value, etc.

I have been trying to find a SQL query that will do the following:

- Select the money column from the table
- Populate the new normalised table with each row containing the value
from the original money column
- Write the primary keys of the new rows in the normalised table, back
to a new column in the original table added for this purpose.

This third step I am struggling with - can anyone suggest a query that
might achieve the writing back of the primary key to the original table?

Regards,
Graham