Re: Tablespace patch review

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tablespace patch review
Date: 2004-06-18 22:53:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Gavin Sherry wrote:

>I would debate that.
>
>Firstly, tablespaces aren't supported on windows yet.

Just a matter of time. And I'm talking of win32 workstations connecting
to *ix servers too.

> Secondly, I'd think
>that Unix users would be fine with a command line tool, especially one
>that can connect to a remote host.
>
>For those not used to command line tools, I can imagine extensions to
>pgadmin or phppgadmin.

Unfortunately, us admin tool programmers can't practice witchcraft, so
we need a pgsql function for that...
Certainly, we could iterate all known databases making a one-time
connection (if allowed to connect, what about template0?), retrieving
tablespace dependencies, and close again. As debated above, that's quite
costly, especially if more sophisticated authentication mechanisms are used.

Regards,
Andreas