Re: [Maybe Spam] @#$%^& Access and PostgreSQL

From: "Greg Campbell" <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>
To: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Maybe Spam] @#$%^& Access and PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-06-15 13:30:49
Lists: pgsql-odbc

can't get changes back into pg.

That is not a lot to go on. We don't know if your are using a simple
action query, a bound form, or VBA code. You might supply some detail
about what you've done and what failed.

Remember - with MS Access and PostgreSQL you are in a client-server
situation. One in which PostgreSQL doesn't really do attached
recordsets. Think read is one step, write is another step, being linked
is an illusion.

With that in mind, you may want to try a simple append query. (You might
want to do a make table query to get the schema right and use that table
to populate what you want to append).

OBDC will simulate an attached recordset (the illusion bound table part)
if your source has a primary key, and better yet OIDs. This will help in
the case of bound forms.

On the PostgreSQL server side you may want to see if postgreSQL is
logging on startup (the pg_ctl -l filename) option. Look for errors.

On the ODBC side you may want to turn on logging and trace the
communication flow (the logs get pretty big pretty quick).

Good Luck

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

>I have spent two days now trying to get MS Access to play with PostgreSQL.
>Searched the archives of this list and Google'd myself crazy but either
>I'm the only one having problems with this :-) or I haven't figured out
>the right keywords to search.
>
>Short story. Pg 7.2 running on a Linux box. MS Access 2000 on WinXP Pro.
>I can query and fiddle with the data in Access but I haven't figured out
>how to get the changes back into Pg.
>
>There is nothing worth a darn in the Access help and working my way
>through the menus has got me no success.
>
>Quick; please someone hit me with a cluestick! Or if it's too far to
>reach is there a tutorial on using MS Access and Pg together?
>
>Oh yeah, I looked at pgAccess but the site is down and the registrar
>indicates it is being deleted. PgAdmin II (since I'm using Pg 7.2) is ...
>OK, but too slow for editing by the folks I work with.
>

>TIA,
>Rod

Attachment Content-Type Size
greg.campbell.vcf text/x-vcard 283 bytes