Re: logfile rotation

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logfile rotation
Date: 2004-06-13 18:47:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:

>> We agreed long ago that the
>> postmaster should never depend on the correctness of any shared memory
>> data structure; but this patch would make it do so.
>>

> I understand that, so what's the suggested way to store data common
> for all backends?

Answering my own question, the distribution of the current logfile name
could be done trough a file handle. So the only thing remaining in
shared mem would be the "reopen logfile" flag, which seems
nonproblematic. In case of garbled sharedmem, a backend would reopen the
logfile, which does no harm at all, or continue writing the outdated
logfile which would be annoying but not harmful either.

Acceptable?

Regards,
Andreas