Re: Speed issues

From: "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Speed issues
Date: 2004-06-08 18:35:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

On 8 Jun 2004 at 18:21, Dru wrote:

> Hello. I have noticed a serious degrade in performance of postgresql
> server under windows if you use the computer at the same time.
> Performance is fine if the server is stand alone, but if i run client
> software on the same computer performance seems to drop significantly.

How do you define "significantly"?

There is bound to be some performance drop. You are stealing CPU cycles
from the postgres processes and competing for disk IO.

Can you use Task Manager to determine the amount of CPU and disk IO
being used for the postgres processes and your client program(s)?

Does you client process do a lot of disk IO or use a lot of memory that
would cause paging activity? This may also mean that postgres (Windows)
cannot cache as much of the database in memory.

Also accessing the postgres backend from a client on the same PC will
cause a lot more context switching between the processes.

If you can post answers to some of the above questions then you may be
getting somewhere to answering your question.

Regards,
Gary.