Re: Case preserving - suggestions

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Case preserving - suggestions
Date: 2004-06-07 15:39:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat wrote:

>On Sunday 06 June 2004 13:47, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>

>>Hi list,
>>
>>A postgresql migration I am doing (the same one for which the OLE DB
>>driver was written) has finally passed the proof-of-concept stage
>>(phew). I now have lots and lots of tidbits, tricks and tips for SQL
>>Server migration, which I would love to put online. Is pgFoundry the
>>right place? I understand that the code snippets section is not yet
>>operative, but I would still love to put it online ASAP (i.e. - before I
>>forget), and to have it all in one place.
>>

>We have a couple of articles about sql server migration up on techdocs now, so
>that seems the most appropriate place for documenting the process you went
>through.
>
>Robert Treat

We wrote a new data type (a tinyint replacement), that will not be part
of postgresql any time soon. We need to put the code up somewhere.
We wrote a perl script that takes the output of the database dump done
by MS-SQL, and converts it into an SQL script for postgres (including
yanking the data from the MS-SQL tables, and inlining it into the
Postgresql script using copy). That needs to go somewhere.
It is highly likely that people will find bugs, or want to make
additions, to the above two, so source control seems like a necessary idea.
In short, I think a pgFoundry project seems better suited for our needs
than static documentation.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh