Re: Default Locale in initdb

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Default Locale in initdb
Date: 2004-06-03 01:51:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This has bitten me a couple times. In what version did it change?
>
> My feeling, and I'd like to see what everyone else thinks, is that if you
> do not specify a locale, you get "C."

I think that initdb should default to something, and do the following:

* Have an explicit warnign if no locale specified, and what it is
defaulting to

* Same for encoding. NO-ONE knows about the -E option when they first
use postgres. Trust me on this.

* Same for -W. NO-ONE knows this exists. Then they change their trusts
to md5 and they can't login to their postgres account anymore.