Re: ACLs versus ALTER OWNER

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ACLs versus ALTER OWNER
Date: 2004-06-02 08:44:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> REVOKE ALL ON TABLE foo FROM GRANTOR [USER] alice;
>
> The super user must really be a *super* user.

I think we need a proper 'effective user' facility.

At the moment, there's breakage if a super user creates a language, then
drops their superuser privs, then the dump cannot be restored.

All other failure cases also exist. eg if a gumby user creates a table
in a schema, then has his permission to create tables in that schema
revoked. The dump will be broken.

The solution seems to me that we need to have an 'effective_user' SET
option so that the superuser doing the restore can still create tables
owned by the gumby, even though the gumby does not have privileges to do
so.

Chris