Re: have you seen this?

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: have you seen this?
Date: 2004-05-27 19:28:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Alexey Borzov wrote:
> I'd like to suggest doing the same things in technical perspective: why
> implementing the functionality on client side is *bad*, length of
> MySQL's release cycles, creating some "switching" stories, this kind of
> stuff.

I am opposed to "advocating PostgreSQL" in this manner (regardless
of how effective it may or may not be). Promoting PostgreSQL ought
to be centered on explaining why PostgreSQL is a good DBMS, not
trash-talking the competition. We should have faith that our users
are capable of evaluating their database options and choosing the
one that suites their needs best (which may or may not be
PostgreSQL; I think Josh's point that SQLLite / MySQL are adequate
for many people is a good one).

-Neil