Re: Big problem

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, sergiomb(at)netcabo(dot)pt
Subject: Re: Big problem
Date: 2004-05-24 14:41:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The mistake has only come up two or three times that I can remember,
> which doesn't elevate it to the category of stuff that I want to install
> a lot of mechanism to prevent. Especially not mechanism that would get
> in the way of reasonable uses. I think it's sufficient to have a
> recovery procedure.

Hmmm - I agree it's difficult, but somehow I think it's something we
should do. Just imagine if some major user of postgres did it - they'd
be screaming blue murder...

We could always implement it without locks, thereby taking care of
99.99999% of the times it might happen, with still the availability of a
cure even if they manage to get through that...

Chris