Unicode upper/lower solution proposal

From: Milos Prudek <prudek(at)bvx(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unicode upper/lower solution proposal
Date: 2004-05-23 10:06:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Disclaimer: I'm not a C programmer and my knowledge of locales is
limited. I use Python.

PostgreSQL does not correctly use upper() and lower() for Unicode
characters. I've read the bug reports and followups at
archive.postgresql.org.

I'd like to propose two ideas:

1) Python has upper() and lower() functions, and they work in Unicode
perfectly. With Python being open source, could PostgreSQL developers
pick Python developer's brains? Is Python using only standard C library
calls to do its Unicode upper/lower conversion? Could the relevant part
of Python source code serve as a starting point of implementing Unicode
upper/lower in Postgres?

2) Arbitrary collation support for PostgreSQL is available at
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/l10n/ and it works perfectly. Could it be
used to implement Unicode upper/lower in Postgres?

--
Milos Prudek