Re: Equivalent for mysql's FOUND_ROWS()

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Victor Spång Arthursson <scooterbabe(at)home(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Equivalent for mysql's FOUND_ROWS()
Date: 2004-05-21 12:05:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Victor Spång Arthursson wrote:
> With mysql it's possible to add a parameter "SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS" to
> the selectstatement and then after having made a query to the database
> with a limit clause you can fire off a second query, "SELECT
> found_rows() as numberofrows" to get the number of rows the query would
> have returned without the LIMIT-clause…
>
> I wonder, is there any way, exept splitting the query up and make
> different calls to the database, to accomplish the same with postgresQL
> as with mysql?

Don't use LIMIT.

Open a cursor for the select, fetch the number of rows you want, if the
FETCH returned that many, do a "MOVE FORWARD ALL IN <cursorname>". The
number of rows skipped by the MOVE will be PQcmdTuples(result), so the
rows you got from FETCH plus that number is the information you're
looking for.

Jan

> Sincerely
>
> Victor