Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-05-19 18:32:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> People,
>

>>>So, why tie it into the PostgreSQL source tree? Won't it be popular
>>>enough to live on its own, that it has to be distributed as part of the
>>>core?
>

> Personally, I find it rather inconsistent to have any PL, other than PL/pgSQL,
> as part of the core distribution -- when we are pushing the interfaces, such
> as JDBC and libpqxx to seperate modules in pgFoundry. Either we're trying
> to lighten up the core, or we're not. But right now there seems to be no
> logic in operation.
>
> I do think, though, that we need some system to build RPMs for all the
> pgFoundry stuff ...

As far as this discussion is concerned I personally think that there is
just one way to satisfy everybody.
I we had a "PostgreSQL most wanted" distribution including PL/* as well
as some other modules we could save people compiling PostgreSQL from
source a lot of work.
The core itself would be cleaner (which is the target of moving things
out) and everybody would be happy?
If people think this is a good idea I could compile and maintain this
(source) distribution ...

Best regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria