Re: PgSQL 7.4.2 - NaN on Tru64 UNIX - CORRECTION!!!

From: Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola(dot)Milutinovic(at)ev(dot)co(dot)yu>
To: PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PgSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PgSQL 7.4.2 - NaN on Tru64 UNIX - CORRECTION!!!
Date: 2004-05-19 06:42:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

> Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola(dot)Milutinovic(at)ev(dot)co(dot)yu> writes:
>
>>[ about NaN on Tru64 ]
>>This compiles on Tru64 4.0D (the compiler swallows it), but fails on
>>Tru64 UNIX 5.1B. Both basic CC and DTK Compaq CC break on that file
>>complaining on that constant evaluation. The best way to solve it is to
>>use system definition of "Infinity Constants":
>>+ #define NAN DBL_INFINITY
>

> Current CVS tip will probably fail with this, because we expect the
> platform to distinguish between NaN and Infinity. Could you retry your
> experiments with a recent snapshot and let us know what seems best now?

Appologies to all, I have been blind!

Disregard my proposed patches. One of users on Tru64 mailing list
pointed me to a correct solution - add "-ieee" to CC flags. I took a
look at templates for OSF1 in PgSQL and they read:

CFLAGS="-O -ieee"

Since I was putting my own definition for CFLAGS, I left out "-ieee". I
have reverted ./src/include/port/osf1.h to the the original and changed
CFLAGS in ./src/Makefile.global to include "-ieee". Then I rebuild
./src/backend/utils/adt/float.o (I'll rebuild the whole PostgreSQL in a
moment) and ran regression tests.

All 93 tests passed.

So, again, my apologies to all, no change neccesary.

Nix.