Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org, lowen(at)pari(dot)edu, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com, chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-05-19 05:03:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

>At least in Japan PHP is much more popular than Python. If we have
>plpython in core, I see no reason we do not have plPHP in core at
>least from the "popularity" point of view.

Well I don't know anywhere that PHP isn't more popular than Python. The
question I think
is a technical one. Python is a better "language" that PHP is. Perl is
as well but that is a whole
other argument.

PHP is what I call the "Dumb Monkey" language. It isn't meant to be
rude, but the reality is
that almost any dumb monkey can code something in PHP. Python takes
actual thought to
produce something useful.

Whether or not that is a bad thing is for another argument :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake