Re: Help! Error Compiling

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Keith Bottner <kbottner(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help! Error Compiling
Date: 2004-05-18 17:58:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Keith Bottner wrote:
> I just reinstalled my system and am in the process of getting PostgreSQL up
> and running again. During compilation of Postgres I received the following
> error:
>
> ... [A lot of configure messages go here]
> checking for main in -lunix... no
> checking for library containing crypt... -lcrypt
> checking for library containing fdatasync... none required
> checking for shmget in -lcygipc... no
> checking for readline... yes (-lreadline)
> checking for inflate in -lz... yes
> checking for CRYPTO_new_ex_data in -lcrypto... no
> configure: error: library 'crypto' is required for OpenSSL
>
> I have never received this error before. It does appear that the crypt
> libraries are installed as can be seen on the second line of output that I
> included. Not knowing how the configure file works I was wondering if it is
> looking for something related but is using an inappropriate error message?
> Any ideas?

"crypt" will be the traditional unix-style passwd encryption.
"crypto" appears to be ssl-related stuff.
You probably want to make sure you've installed the development package
(headers) for openssl.

P.S. There are PostgreSQL packages for common platforms, that's probably
the simplest way to install.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd