Re: Parsing Data, Table to Form

From: Paul Lynch <paul(dot)lynch(at)exemail(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Yasmine Kedoo <yazkedoo(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Parsing Data, Table to Form
Date: 2004-05-10 12:22:56
Lists: pgsql-php

The task you are trying to do is easy enough once you understand the
steps involved.
From your example the following major steps (programs) are needed.
1. Display the data from the database in a table in HTML (admininfo.php)
2. Select one row from the table for update (I'm guessing this step is
intended).
3. Display selected row in a form in HTML for operator update. (updaat.php)
4. Write changes made in 3 back to postgresql database table.
(not_named_yet.php)

My way of doing this (and there are many other ways to do this) is to
have in step 2 the key or keys that will identify the row from the
database in the html as hidden fields.
echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"yourkeyid\"
value=\"$keyoftabledata\" >";
In the updaat.php program the hidden fields are assigned to php
variables using the $_POST ["yourkeyid"] like:
$keyforrow = $_POST["yourkeyid"];
You use the key to get the data again from the database and then display
it in the new form for update.
The final step involves the final php program picking up all the entered
data from the form and updating the database, again the key to the
database table may need to be hidden and assigned to variables.

If this is where you are trying to go I can expand or send you some
sample working php programs.

Hope this helps,
Paul