Re: ALTER TABLE TODO items

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE TODO items
Date: 2004-05-07 01:50:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I left the statistic setting as-is (do you think that's wrong?) but the
> storage spec gets reset to whatever the default for the new type is.

Seems reasonable.

> We could talk about doing something more complicated, such as "keep the
> old setting if both old and new types support toasting, else reset to
> new default". Not sure if that'd be better or not.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. I don't now though...

What happens with ordering of operations in the ALTER TABLE statement?
Like if I put an alter TYPE and a SET STORAGE in the same statement
(wiht commas between), in what order will things happen? Is it
deterministic? Is it documented? Are there situations where a crazy
collection of 20 commands in a single ALTER TABLE will have
unpredictable effects?

Also, should the syntax be SET TYPE, not just TYPE?

Chris