Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg
Date: 1998-08-09 15:33:24
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se> writes:
> DBD::Pg dos indeed use PQconnectdb(),
> but at least in my light test I get SEGV in $sth->fetch.
> The problems are probably somewhere in DBDI or DBD::Pg or
> somewhere in the interaction of the parts.

FWIW, I finally got around to installing Perl5 (5.004 pl4 to
be specific), and so far the perl5 interface supplied with pgsql
seems to work fine. I only just now realized that what you
are talking about is something different ... the code included
in the distribution calls itself Pg not DBD::Pg. What versions
of everything are you using?

> I am looking into how much work a "pure Perl" interface
> should amount to. Using native perl IO and pgsql-fe/be-protocol
> should make "pgsql-clienting" even more portable over platforms.

Of course, it will also mean that you have to maintain that code
every time we change the fe/be protocol ... there is a change
upcoming for 6.4.